Hello friends! I hope you’re all having a wonderful week and looking forward to the weekend (is it Friday yet?!). We thought it might be helpful to share a bit from our perspective on how you can get the MOST out of your experience with us, since I’m sure that everyone would agree that they want the best photos they possibly can from their wedding! For us, a lot comes down to how much time you’re willing to give us. The amount of time you give us generally correlates with how many photos you’ll have, how much time we have to “play” with you, us trying new creative angles, and the extent to which the two of you can relax and focus completely on each other. A few things to keep in mind when planning out your day…
1. The “First Look.” Some folks have different names for this, but it’s a moment where the two of you have together, before the ceremony and craziness of guests and family members arriving, to soak each other in, focus completely on each other, and for us to shoot some romantic portraits. We LOVE the first look and the flexibility it allows us to be creative with our couples without the pressure or pull of a fun cocktail hour going on (that you’re missing!). We hate pulling you away from your party once it starts, but we also want to give you a ton of fun, sweet photos of the two of you. The first look + doing all your photos before your party starts is the best solution! If you choose to do a first look, we generally say we’ll arrive about 3 – 3 1/2 hours before your ceremony start time, depending on where your getting ready location is. Have your hair and makeup mostly done at this point and ideally, bridesmaids completely ready and dressed. The two of you can spend 30 minutes to an hour together and then we’ll bring in the bridal party and have some fun with them as well!
2. Giving yourself more time than you think you need (especially in regards to getting ready!). We’ve found that most hair + makeup folks go over their time they give you by anywhere from 10 minutes to two hours. That’s all time that is cutting into our time of photographing you, so please please build in a buffer time so that you don’t get caught off guard rushing to squeeze in photos before the ceremony. The key element to our photography is the emotion + romanticism behind the images, which is extremely hard to focus on for the two of you if you’re rushed or stressed out!
3. A genuine excitement for your portraits. I know, this may be a little harder for our grooms out there! 🙂 I can’t tell you what a difference it makes when we KNOW you’re excited about the photos we’re creating with you. We completely feed off our your energy and LOVE when we can feel your excitement + willingness to be up for anything! I promise you it makes a difference 🙂
4. Love, love, love on each other! Don’t be worried about the poses, the atmosphere, or anything except each other, and we can pretty much guarantee that you and I will both love the images we’re creating together!
5. Trust us. We want to give you amazing photos, and just letting us be creative with you is so important!
Hopefully this has helped some of our brides + grooms out there! We’re so thrilled to be a part of your wedding and are always working to make your experience even better! Much love,
Lauren + Tim